Thursday 1 October 2015

A little Taste of Ballymaloe so far...


The Shell House and gardens




My humble home - The Coach House 


Ballymaloe Greenhouse and gardens 


Some of the many vegetables growing in the gardens 



My own personal Dove who hangs by my window all day 


My filleting skills on Cod 



I made it.


I am also a startling quarter of the way through Ballymaloe Cookery School and in major disbelief!
I might mention here that I not ready to enter the real world yet no matter many times Darina mentions to us about writing your CV and contacting restaurants and chefs now!!!

The time is actually flying here however you don't always feel that way in the afternoon's demonstrations!

I am living in a Ballymaloe bubble completely sheltered away from the rest of the world surrounded by 600 hens, Jersey cows, constant supplies of fresh organic food, farming and lots of foodies.

I might start by saying....

You get your Bang for your Buck in Ballymaloe. 

It is important for anyone considering doing this course in the future to know this. You will not regret it nor will you be startled at the cost once you start the course.
It may have taken me a little while this year to save for the course but my god is it worth every penny saved.

I am learning so much and I have to say I was a little surprised (being a home ec teacher and all) of how much I have to learn and how there is one way and the 'Ballymaloe Way' to do things.
I'm converted now.


The day's can be long and they are tiring. You start in the kitchens just after 8am to set up for cookery and to collect ingredients and you begin cooking at 9am. You cook a number of dishes (3-4) and sometimes a duty dish like make butter, lemonade, bread during the mornings cooking from 9 - 12.30. I might stress here you are lucky if you finish at 12.30, most times you enter the dining room shattered at 1!
Lectures begin at 1.45 sharp and go on till after 5 most days where Darina, Rory or Pam demonstrate anything from 10-15 dishes which you then prepare the following day in the kitchen.
Wednesday's are the only day you do not cook in the kitchen and these days are completely focused around lectures. I like to call it Wine Wednesday. We have Colm McCan Ballymaloe Sommelier come in and teach us all about wine and I must admit this is turning out to be surprisingly one of my favourite parts of the course. It is so interesting and I am learning so much about wine! Cue change of career path may be happening...


There are so many extracurricular activities to take part in too in the evenings like cheesemaking, organic gardening classes, butchery classes, working in Ballymaloe House, milking cows and working with the Ballymaloe food market stall on Saturdays in Midleton to name but a few.

Your evenings can also be very easily dedicated to filing. (My God I am in heaven)
You need to get on top of this ASAP. The filing is insane. Prepare yourself!
You also prepare your order of work each evening for the next day in the kitchen to help you sequence your cooking and help you be as organised and prepared as possible.


Anyways this is just a quick update at the end of Week 3 here in Ballymaloe Cookery School.

Will update and post more next week,

Hope you enjoy,

Tracy




No comments:

Post a Comment